The SPUD game is a classic outdoor game that entails lots of exercise, coordination. This is also a great icebreaker game that needs minimal preparation and is easy to learn.
SPUD is an especially funny game to play with kids and teens, so be prepared to have them in fits of giggles by the end of it!
Features of SPUD Game
|★ Game Name
|★ Group size
|medium to large
|running and throwing
|up to 10 – 15 min
Aim of the SPUD game
The goal of the game is to eliminate other players by catching a ball and throwing it at other players to tag them. When a player gets all four letters in the SPUD game then they are considered out of the game.
This game is great for all ages, it is very easy even for younger kids as it is simple to pick up.
Ideally, the game works best for larger groups and there is no maximum number of players. As for the smaller groups, you need to have at least 5 players so that four players kids can stand in the circle and the last player can be the starter.
Preparation and Materials
What you need is a ball. You also need to make sure that the environment you are planning to play will have enough space for everyone to run.
How to Play the SPUD Game
1. Assign an individual number to each player that joins the game. For example, if there are 10 players, everyone gets assigned a number between 1 and 10.
2. Nominate one person to be the starter. It can be absolutely any of the players.
3. Then get all of the other players to stand in a large circle facing inwards.
4. The players who start the game is going to throw the ball up straight up into the air, as high as it is possible, and loudly call out a number. For example “Eight”.
5. While the ball is still in the air all other players should start running away from the ball, except the person whose number is called. In our example, this is “Eight”.
6. The person, whose number is called, has to catch that ball. Once “Eight” has the ball, the players must yell “SPUD!” Once they say the word every player has to freeze.
7. If they do not freeze they automatically get a letter. So, they have to freeze completely.
8. Next, the person who caught the ball (In our example, “Eight”) takes 2 big steps toward any player they want to and throw the ball at that player.
9. The targeted player cannot move their legs but they can move their body and arms to dodge the ball. It is important that they have to keep their feet planted.
10. If they get hit with the ball they get the letter “S” for SPUD.
11. If they manage to dodge the ball when the player who threw the ball gets the letter.
12. The new round starts with the person who got the letter. They throw the ball into the air and call out the number.
13. The idea is to not get any letters. Once SPUD is spelled out the player is out of the game.
14. Keep playing till there are like 2 people left.
Variations of the SPUD game
The SPUD game is popular worldwide and can have variations according to the culture. For example, in England, it is called the “Sun” and in Russia, it is the “STOP” game.
This game is passed from one generation to another and that’s how those alternative versions are created. For example:
- Small children can roll the ball to hit other players.
- Adults and teens may prefer more difficult rules. For example, they can only throw the ball and/or they are allowed to move one foot to avoid being hit.
- The SPUD Base Game. You need a baseball field. If your number is not called, you need to run bases as fast you can. The player who gets hit by the ball has to return home and cannot collect the next run. There are no letters in the SPUD Base game. The goal is to get a higher score, to get the most runs in this game.