Playing group games when you’re in a room or party is a great way to break the ice. If you’re playing among groups who already know each other, the icebreaker game Team Spoons may even help take your friendship and mutual understanding to greater levels!
Features of Team Spoons Game
|★ Game Name
|★ Group size
|small and medium
|teens and adults
|accuracy and speed
|up to 15 – 30 min
The Aim of Team Spoons
When playing Team Spoons, your goal is to be the team to get 4 of the same kind of cards first. Once you or your partner have accumulated 4 of the same kind of cards, you must shout Team Spoons to win.
It’s a game of accuracy and speed, but also a great group game that requires teamwork if you want to excel.
Group Size and Age
To best play Team Spoons, you’ll want to have a minimum of 4 players at hand. You may have up to 10 players at a go, but larger groups may not be encouraged.
Team Spoons is an ideal game for anyone aged 14 and up as the mechanics may be too complicated for younger children.
Preparation and Materials
The great thing about Team Spoons is that you don’t need a lot to play this group game. Despite its name, no spoons are required to play the game. Instead, all you’ll need to prepare is a deck of cards and a flat surface such as a desk or carpet to play on.
How do you play Team Spoons
Team Spoons is a game that requires all its players to be grouped in pairs. It’s best to pick out pairs who don’t know each other too well, so it becomes harder for everyone to win. This is the best part of Team Spoons as it will help forge friendships along the way. Once you have selected the pairs, then you’re ready to play Team Spoons.
- Have your teams (pairs) create a secret signal between themselves. These signals can be clues such as coughing into their elbows, scratching their heads, so their partners will know when the signal is made.
- Sit everyone in a circle, ensuring that the pairs are sitting across each other and not together.
- Pick out a set number of cards but be sure that you have 4 of the same kind. For example, you may pick out 4 Jacks, 4 Queens, 4 Kings, and 4 Aces. The number of sets to pick out depends on the number of teams you have.
- Shuffle the cards and deal 4 cards to each player.
- Pick a player to start first and move in a clockwise motion. Every player must pick one card in every turn and pass it over to the player on their left. Each player can decide which card to keep and which to pass over.
- Players must keep an eye on their partners and if either of the pair has 4 of the same kind, they must execute the secret signal.
- The first team that has 4 of the same kind and say, “Spoons” will win the game.
- To stop the opposing team from winning, players can also say, “Bust” if they suspect that the pair are trying to send the secret signal across. If the opposing team does indeed have 4 of a kind when a bust is called, they will lose immediately.
As you can see, Team Spoons is a game where you’ll have to be observant of not just your own partners but the opposing team’s too. It’s a game where teamwork will take you soaring through winning heights and is guaranteed to provide you with moments of unforgettable fun.