If you are looking for a simple way to build a fun and blissful atmosphere in a group or a class, you can start with this ice breaker. This auditory game allows creative thinking and helps improve listening skills.
Buzzing Bee is made for grade-school students as an interactive tool and a memorable learning experience. This group game can also be played in children’s parties too. Prepare your ears and listen carefully to the buzzing sound!
Features of Buzzing Bee Game
|★ Game Name
|★ Group size
|medium to large
|any (adults preferably)
|vocal / acting
|indoor and outdoor
|up to 10 – 15 min
|any small object (coin, ring, etc.)
Aim of the game:
The aim of the game is to guess which member of the group is holding the secret object handed by the game master just by listening to the buzzing sounds. For every correct guess, there is an awesome prize!
Group Size and Age
This game may include 10 to 20 members. This group game is best for grade-school kids, especially first and second graders.
Preparation and Materials
To play Buzzing Bee, you need to prepare the following:
- Any small object (e.g. coin, marble, ring)
How to Play Buzzing Bee:
There will be a game master who will explain the mechanics of the game. All the participants will form a big circle and will wait for the instructions of the game master.
- The game master will pick a volunteer who will be guessing where the object, a coin, for example, will be hidden. He will be asked to leave the room. The remaining participants will be tagged as the “buzzing bees.”
- The game master will then assign one of the buzzing bees in the circle to hide the object in his hand.
- At the count of three, all the buzzing bees will then be asked to make a buzzing sound, as the volunteer will be instructed to stand at the center of the circle. The volunteer will be blindfolded.
- The buzzing bee who has the object should sound louder so that the volunteer can trace where the object is. The rest of the bees who don’t have the object will also try to buzz as loudly to confuse the volunteer.
- The volunteer must listen very carefully and try to locate where the loudest buzz is. When he is ready to make a guess, he will then remove his blindfold and all the bees will stop buzzing.
- The volunteer will mention the name of the buzzing bee who he thinks is hiding the object.
- If the volunteer guesses it right, he will get a price or score the point!
- Thereafter, he will be randomly placed by the game master in one of the seats within the circle. The game master will then choose another volunteer to trace and find the hidden object.
An alternative variation for playing Buzzing bee is to record the time it takes for a volunteer to guess it right.
You can choose three to five participants who are willing to take the challenge.
The game master will then record the time once the buzzing sound has begun. The time stops at the point where the volunteer correctly guesses the buzzing bee who has the object. The one who has the shortest time recorded will win the prize.